Coming out of the Honoring Investments in Recruiting and Employing American Military Veterans Act (HIRE Vets Act), signed by President Trump on May 5, the U.S Department of Labor has created the HIRE Vets Medallion Program. The program will award employers who “recruit, retain, and employ veterans, and who offer charitable services in support of the veteran community.”
The newly sworn in Secretary of Labor, Alexander Acosta, expressed that
The Department of Labor looks forward to shining the spotlight on employers who make hiring veterans a priority and encouraging other employers to hire our nation’s heroes.
There will be two levels of awards for large, as well as small – to – mid-size employers. The criteria for the awards include:
- Percentage of employees who are veterans;
- Percentage of veteran employees who are retained;
- Establishment of veterans’ assistance and training programs;
- Employment of dedicated human resources professionals for veterans; and
- Income and tuition support for veterans.
The Department announced companies will be presented with awards under the program in connection with celebration of Veteran’s Day.